Monday, July 26, 2021

the last leg - heading home!


Well, we've come to the last leg of our adventure! It wasn't the adventure we had planned, but it was an adventure none the less! Between the lockdowns and aging parents, it wasn't as expected, but it was good. We met a lot of wonderful people, saw a lot of amazing places and learned a lot about ourselves and our Lord! 


First, the people. We met a lot of great people, all ages, walks of life, full-timers and weekend warriors. People in small towns across rural America and people in the big cities. People who are nomads and live in the north during the summer and in the south in the winter, and people who are just vacationing to see the sights. I think about the young newlyweds we shared a meal of fresh caught fish and foraged morel mushrooms with in Idaho. A young mom of three girls that we went to a church service with also in Idaho. The couple we met in Washington who encouraged us to go to Glacier National Park because we were so close. The couples we spent time with in Quartzsite, AZ learning how to dry camp/boondock. The couple we spent a few days parked next to in Montana who helped Papawizzy change the fuel filters on the truck. And there were many more, including stopping to see friends and relatives! People we exchanged contact info with and maybe someday we'll see them again, who knows. So many people who have trials and joys just like us.


Second, the amazing places. Oh my goodness, the United States of America is beautiful! And the history! It has been wonderful seeing places and learning about the history. I wish everyone could take a trip around this amazing country and learn about the people who went before us. The trials and tribulations they endured to make this country great! As I learned about some of the people and what they accomplished, I realize that we have become pretty wimpy people :(. And we only saw the country west and north of Texas. But back to the beauty, Glacier and Montana in general, Idaho, Utah, the Dakotas, Arizona, Northern California, Oregon and Washington, just to name a few lol. I've had several people ask me what my favorite place was, and honestly I can't name one place! I've seen beauty in all the places we've been. Our country is so diverse and varied, mountains, canyons, beaches, deserts, and plains, and we haven't even seen the east side of the United States yet!! We're finishing up our adventure by traveling rather quickly through Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, and Arkansas! We just really wanted to be able to add those state stickers to our U.S. map lol! And we have to camp at least one night to add that sticker!


Third, what we've learned. Living 24/7 with your spouse can be challenging lol. But, it gave us opportunities to work on things that can be ignored when you're able to get away from each other. We think this has been great for our relationship. We have grown and I think we will return home a little more relaxed and patient with everyone around us. One thing that I, Mamawizzy, realized was how much of a control freak I was! Well I really already knew that, but it became something I had to deal with as this trip unfolded. I also realized that I can judge people pretty quickly, and being on the road and talking to all different types of people helped me to realize this. It's actually very freeing to enjoy people as they are without expecting them to fit into a box I created.  The hope is that crossing paths with them will benefit both parties. We also learned how to handle driving, setting up and tearing down an RV, minor repairs of truck and 5th wheel, and packing lots of stuff in small spaces.


Fourth, what we've learned about the Lord. Well from day one, we learned that "we make our plans, and God orders our steps"! If any of you have been following along you know the struggles we have had and that this trip didn't go as planned. There were places on our list that we just didn't get to see. It was disappointing, but what was encouraging was how God helped us all along the way. When a repair was needed or we couldn't find a place to stay for the night. When we needed to be somewhere, we were able to get there at the right time. It always worked out! We have tried to give Him glory for all that has happened on this adventure and we wouldn't trade a day of it for anything!

We, well mainly I, am very excited to get home! Papawizzy could travel forever, I'm more of a homebody lol. I want to get back to my daughter and grands. I'm ready to start gardening again, and miss my chickens! And I'll be glad to let Miss Journey Fay off the leash to run around the backyard and swim in the pool!


Blessings to you all,

Mamawizzy

1 comment: